From Left to Right: Dick Ebsworth (Arable Foreman), Paul Freebury (Gamekeeper), Charles Phillips (Partner), Sam Phillips (Partner/Stockman), Tony Hale (Shepherd)
The farm appears to have been first established as a steading in the late 1600’s, and the farmhouse itself being built in 1732. A classic group of Cotswold buildings surrounding the main farmyard, which in days past would have accommodated all sorts of different stock and harvested cereal crops.
The Phillips family first became tenants of the farm in 1891 and Charles’ grandfather took over the tenancy and management of the farm in 1902 at the tender age of 15 whilst still attending school locally. Charles then took on the farm in 1976, which further expanded in 2000 by taking on 1160 acres of the adjoining Manor Farm, Eastleach, making the current farmed area just under 1700 acres. Sam, returned to the farm as a Partner in 2010.
The most plausible explanation links the name ‘Macaroni’ to an exclusive eighteenth century gentleman’s club in London, favoured by dandies who wore fancy Italian-inspired clothing and white wigs. Members of the ‘Macaroni Club’, as they were appropriately named, regularly travelled to Cheltenham to see the races, whilst stopping en-route at Paul’s Castle to watch the Bibury meet. It has been suggested that the area around the racecourse was named in their honour in a bid to increase attendance amongst the wealthy elite; and to establish a reputation as the place to be seen.